Spiros Manolidis, MD
Meet Dr. Manolidis
Dr. Manolidis graduated from Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston in 1998. He completed his residency training at McGill University in Montreal in 1993 and subsequently pursued and completed two fellowships. First fellowship in Head and Neck Surgery, Reconstruction and Craniofacial trauma at University of California Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, California. Second fellowship in Otology – Neurotology and Skull Base Surgery with the Otology Group & Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. He is the only otolaryngologist in the U.S. with this dual fellowship training and has practiced both fellowship disciplines since training.
He began practicing in 1997 at Texas Medical Center where he was faculty at Baylor College of Medicine. He was based at Methodist Hospital, Texas Children’s Hospital, St. Luke’s Hospital, Ben Taub General Hospital and the Houston VA. During this time he founded a number of multidisciplinary endeavors that have excelled to this day. He has been awarded the highest honors for teaching and research. In 2004 he moved in New York to become a professor in Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery and Neurosurgery at Columbia University, New York Presbyterian Hospital. During his time there he directed the center for head & neck surgery, the center for skull base surgery and the center for neurotology. He was selected and given the best resident and medical student teacher award by Columbia University and was the recipient of both National Science Foundation and National Institutes of Health grants that led to breakthrough research in his field.
He has lectured extensively both in the United States and abroad and has developed a national and international recognition for his clinical contributions and academic work in his fields of interest. He has authored over 100 publications both on clinical and basic science work. He belongs to every relevant society in his field. He is a member of the international Collegium Society, one of 20 in the U.S. with a research award from this prestigious society, one of two in the U.S. He holds a number of patents from this previous research in addition to patents that relate to surgical devices and instruments. He has participated extensively in humanitarian / educational missions in both southeast Asia and various Mediterranean countries.
- Haddad A., Enepekides D., Manolidis S., Black M. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck: a clinicopathologic study of 37 cases. J. Otolaryngol 1995;24: 201-205.
- Jackson, CG, Glasscock III, M.E., Pappas, D., Manolidis, S., VonDoersten, P. Pediatric neurotologic skull base surgery. Laryngoscope 106:1205-1209, 1996.
- Glasscock III, M.E., Jackson, C.G., Pappas, D., Manolidis, S., VonDoersten, P. Brain Herniation into the middle ear and mastoid: concepts in diagnosis and treatment. AJO 18;198-206:1997.
- Glasscock III, M.E., Jackson, CG, Pappas, D., Manolidis, S., VonDoersten, P. Management of acoustic neuroma in the elderly population. Accepted. AJO 18;236-242:1997.
- Manolidis S., Sugiultzoglou M, Schloss M.D. Ossifying fibroma of the skull base- a case report. Rivista Italiana di Otolaryngologia Audiologia e Foniatria. 16;219-223:1997.
- Manolidis, S., Glasscock III, M.E. Chronic ear surgery in the only hearing ear. Proceedings of Fifth International Conference on Cholesteatoma and Mastoid Surgery. CIC Edizioni Internationali. Rome. 724-32:1997.
- Manolidis S., Donald P.J. Malignant mucosal melanoma of the head & neck: a comprehensive review of the literature and report of 14 patients. Cancer. 1997:80(8);1373-86.
- Manolidis S., Jackson C.G., Pappas D., Glasscock III M.E., VonDoersten, P. Lateral skull base surgery: the otology group experience. Skull Base Surgery. 1997:7;129-137.
- Manolidis S., Jackson C.G., Pappas D., Glasscock III M.E., VonDoersten, P. Lateral skull base malignancy: Experience and results with 81 patients. 1998: 19:6 supplement; S1-15.
- Manolidis S., Shohet J., Jackson C.G., Glasscock III M.E. Malignant glomus tumors. A report of 8 cases. 1999:109;30-4.
- Manolidis S., Isaacs R.S., Donald P.J. Myoepithelial carcinoma: A Report of two cases and review of the literature. Otorhinolaryngol Nova. 1997:7;220-26.
- Manolidis S, Donald, P.J., Pounds, T., Volk P. The use of positron emission tomography (PET) to detect occult and recurrent disease in patients with head and neck cancer. Acta Otolaryngica (Stockh). 1998; Suppl 534.
- VonDoersten P, Jackson CG, Manolidis S, Pappas D, Glasscock ME. Facial nerve outcome in lateral skull base surgery for benign lesions. 1998:108;1480-1484.
- Chan LL, Taber KH, Hayman LA, Manolidis S. Temporal Bone Axial Views, Smart Charts LLC, 2000.
- Chan LL, Taber KH, Hayman LA, Manolidis S. Temporal Bone Coronal Views, Smart Charts LLC, 2000.
- Chan LL, Manolidis S, Taber KH, Hayman LA. In Vivo Measurements Of Temporal Bone On Reconstructed Clinical High Resolution Computed Tomography Scans. Laryngoscope 2000;110(8):1375-1378,.
- Manolidis S. Complications associated with labyrinthine fistula in surgery for chronic otitis media. Otolaryngol head & neck surg 2000;123(6):733-37.
- Chan LL, Manolidis S, Taber KH, Hayman LA. “Surgical Anatomy Of The Temporal Bone: An Atlas” Neuroradiology 2001;43:797-808.
- Manolidis S. Iatrogenic Injury To The Facial Nerve. Proceedings of the 2nd World Congress of Otorhinolaryngologic Allergy Endoscopy and Laser Surgery. Monduzzi Editore, Bologna, Italy, pp.167 – 177.
- Manolidis S. Vascularized pedicled tensor tympanii muscle flap for Eustachian tube obliteration. Proceedings of the 2nd World Congress of Otorhinolaryngologic Allergy Endoscopy and Laser Surgery. Monduzzi Editore, Bologna, Italy pp.157 – 167.
- Manolidis S. The incidence of dural dehiscences, brain herniation and their associated complications in advanced chronic otitis media. Proceedings of the 2nd World Congress of Otorhinolaryngologic Allergy Endoscopy and Laser Surgery. Monduzzi Editore, Bologna, Italy, pp.64 – 77.
- Greenberg, JS, Manolidis S, Kahn BJ, Stewart MG. Facial Nerve Monitoring In Chronic Ear Surgery: U.S. Practice Patterns. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2002;126:108-114
- Olson K, Manolidis S. The Novel Use Of Vascularized Subgaleal Fascial Flap For Reconstruction In Otologic Surgery. Otolaryngol Head & Neck Surg 126(5):538-537;2002.
- Manolidis S. The incidence and management of complications associated with dural dehiscences and encephaloceles in chronic otitis media surgery. Am J Otolaryngol 2002 Jul-Aug;23(4):203-8.
- Manolidis, S., Kutz, W. Sigmoid sinus thrombosis: results of modern surgical intervention. Otol Neurotol. 2005 Sep;26(5):1045-51.
- Ransom E.R., Yoon C., Manolidis S.: Single Stage Near Total Resection of Massive Pediatric Head and Neck Plexiform Neurofibromas Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. E – publication Jan 4, 2006.
- Farley RL, Manolidis S, Ratner D. Aggressive Basal cell carcinoma with invasion of the parotid gland, facial nerve, and temporal bone. Dermatol Surg. 2006 Feb;32(2):313-21
- Qiu W, Schonleben F, Li X, Ho DJ, Close LG, Manolidis S, Bennett BP, Su GH. PIK3CA Mutations in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2006 Mar 1;12(5):1441-6.
- Farley R, Manolidis S, Ratner D. Adenocarcinoma of the lung metastatic to the skull presenting as a scalp cyst. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006 May;54(5):916-917.
- Manolidis S, Higuera S, Boyd V, Hollier LH. Single-stage total and near-total resection of massive pediatric head and neck neurofibromas. J Craniofac Surg. 2006 May;17(3):506-10.
- Kleydman Y, Manolidis S, Ratner D. Basal cell carcinoma with intracranial invasion.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009 Jun;60(6):1045-9.
- Mourad WF, Hauerstock D, Shourbaji RA, Hu KS, Culliney B, Li Z, Jacobson A, Tran T, Manolidis S, Schantz S, Urken M, Persky M, Harrison LB. Trimodality Management of Sinonasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma and Review of the Literature. Am J Clin Oncol. 2012 Nov 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mourad WF, Hu KS, Puckett L, Hauerstock D, Shourbaji RA, Li Z, Manolidis S, Schantz S, Tran T, Jacobson A, Urken M, Culliney B, Persky M, Harrison LB. Five-Year Outcomes of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Tonsil Treated With Radiotherapy. Am J Clin Oncol. 2013 Jan 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Waleed WF, Hu KS, Ishihara D, Shourbaji RA, Wilson L, Kumar M, Jacobson AS, Tran T, Manolidis S, Urken M, Persky M, Harrison M. Tolerance and toxicity of primary radiation therapy in the management of seropositive HIV patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Laryngoscope. Laryngoscope. 2013 May;123(5):1178-83.
- Khorsandi AS, Scherl S, Wang B, Wenig BM, Manolidis S, Jacobson A. Chondromyxoid fibroma of the mastoid portion of the temporal bone: MRI and PET/CT findings and their correlation with histology. Ear, Nose, & Throat Journal 2013, 92(4-5):201-203
- O’Bryan K, Sherman W, Niedt GW, Taback B, Manolidis S, Wang A, Ratner D. An evolving paradigm for the workup and management of high-risk cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013 Jul 17
- Mourad WF, Hu KS, Shasha D, Concert C, Ishihara D, Lin W, Gamez ME, Lukens JJ, Shourbaji RA, Ryniak M, Li Z, Culliney BE, Khorsandi AS, Tran T, Jacobson A, Manolidis S, Schantz S, Urken M, Persky MS, Harrison LB. Long-term Outcome of Seropositive HIV Patients with Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Treated with Radiation Therapy and Chemotherapy. Anticancer Res. 2013 Dec;33(12):5511-6.
- Mourad WF, Hu KS, Shasha D, Concert C, Ishihara D, Lin W, Shourbaji RA, Ryniak M, Gamez ME, Lukens JN, Li Z, Culliney BE, Khorsandi AS, Tran T, Jacobson A, Manolidis S, Schantz S, Urken M, Persky MS, Harrison LB. Initial experience with oropharynx-targeted radiation therapy for metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of unknown primary of the head and neck. Anticancer Res. 2014 Jan;34(1):243-8.
- Manolidis S, Ratner D. External auditory canal defect management and reconstruction. Dermatol Surg. 2014 Sep;40 Suppl 9:S86-95.
- Jada AS, Shrivastava RK, Mannan A, Kobets A, Manolidis S. Rare Presentation of Giant Cell Tumor in the Internal Auditory Canal: Case Report and Review of the Literature. J Neurol Surg Rep. 2015 Jul;76(1):e65-71.